Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Holiday hell week

Any week that includes a "day off" holiday is HELL WEEK at the Daily News. For the privilege of having a day away, we spend an entire week inundated with extra work and earlier deadlines, no time to breathe.

And there's not enough free food here. Just as well, since I could stand to drop a few pounds. (I've gained 5 to 10 pounds since I returned here in 2002 for my most-recent Daily News stint. It's a long story, but I have worked here three separate times.)

So that's why posting is low to nonexistant at present. I know you all want to hear about my toilet repairs, why I'm pissed off about winshield wiper refills and how the dry weather is affecting the inside of my nose, but it'll have to wait.

Until then, all the best to you and yours for the happiest (blah, blah, blah) of Thanksgivings. Vegetarians that we are, we will be feasting on this, made by Ilene from the new Real Food Daily Cookbook.

The great Real Food Daily restaurant offers full Thanksgiving meals, praised in this case by Laist.
Alas, it's too late to order, but if you drop by in Santa Monica or West Hollywood, you can probably get yourself a nice plate of faux turkey breast, potatoes and more.

5 comments:

Ilene said...

I have two important words for you: Pumpkin Pie. Let it be your beacon. xo

Aaron Hanscom said...

Please make sure Mr. Weinkopf remains coherent. I'm supposed to be in Sunday's Daily News.

Steven Rosenberg said...

Aaron, very nice. He looks asleep, I'll throw something at him. I'll look for your item on Sunday.

Zach Behrens said...

While I didn't have a chance to check out Real Food Daily, I did try the Raw Food Thanksgiving Dinner at Leaf Cuisine. Not bad!!

Steven Rosenberg said...

Zach, we went to Leaf about a week ago. I was pleasantly surprised. Raw food is, by nature, expensive, but they are quite a bit cheaper than Juliano's, with better food as well. We had the carrot cake (very carroty, and good), nori rolls (small but spicy) and a wrap with three items in it -- nice collard green wrapping, too. All in all very good.

Despite what I said about the pricing, if there was any way at all that they could lower them a little, I'd be even happier.